Thursday, July 5, 2018

Lasting Impressions...

Hello from the rainy season of Belize,

Today we concluded our Health and Hygiene project in the Mayan community of San Antonio. Throughout our time here we were blessed to have administered 42 water filters to some very deserving families. We wish them good health and full hearts going forward and we can be assured that we made a lasting impression on them. But let's talk about the impression they've had on us...

Sometimes it can be very obvious that you've made an impression on someone's life. Perhaps they tell you how happy you've made them, sometimes they bring you words or gifts of thankfulness. This was the case many times throughout our week in San Antonio. But what about the impressions you didn't know you were making?

It completely blows my mind how we can make an impression so deeply on someone without even meaning to, and how they in turn can make an impression on us. I was very blessed this week to have spent a majority of my time with the children of San Antonio. I was in charge of a few of their health and hygiene lessons, and other times worked as a second hand for a fellow team member. No matter what the plan for the day, I always found myself back with the children... and I'd like to share one lasting impression that was made on me this week.

During the first few days I taught my lessons to both the adults and children, but as mentioned before, I always found myself drawn to the children. Sometimes God was gently pushing me along, and other times the message was loud and clear, sent in the form of a child's hand gently leading me where I was meant to go. Or in this case, children... specifically, Kristani and Mali.

Each day, Kristani would show up with her little sister, Mali, in tow and listen diligently to the lessons we had for them. The sisters would play games with the other kids and color with crayons, but neither ever said a word... and neither ever let go of the other's hand. 

At the end of the first day I was shocked when Kristani came up to me and hugged my legs briefly before walking away with her sister. She never said a word, never let go of her sister's hand... she never even looked up. I was a little confused by the gesture, but some of the other kids were hugging us all before leaving, so I shrugged it off and thought nothing more about it.

The next day, Kristani and Mali showed up well before everyone else. We had just begun setting up when the girls walked in. As soon as they spotted me, they walked right up to me and Kristani took my hand in hers. I smiled down and her and she smiled up at me, but still no words passed between us. We stood like that for a long while, only letting go when I needed to move something here or there. But as soon as my hand was free again, there was Kristani reaching out and securing it once more. 

As the week passed Kristani and Mali were never far from me. Each morning they arrived earlier and earlier. Kristani would take one hand and Mali would take the other. If I was in the another room they were waiting just outside, if I was sitting outside they were pressed up against me on either side... always their little hands seeking mine. Wherever I went they followed and whenever I strayed they gently led me back. Always they hugged me goodbye when it was time to part for the day. Still, they never spoke a word. Even if I asked questions, they either nodded, shook their heads, or smiled shyly.

Then today, everything changed. Kristani and Mali were waiting for us hand-in-hand before the van even pulled into the school. I smiled as I saw their little faces peering in the windows looking for me. The second I stepped off the van Kristani threw herself at me and Mali wrapped her little arms around my legs. I said good morning to them both and reached my hands out for them as I had every morning. Finally, Kristani spoke. "We waited for you," she told me.

Ah. So they did speak English... or at least Kristani did. I smiled at her as I knelt down and told them that I was very happy they had. This time when I asked their names, she gave them to me. This time when I talked they responded. Kristani in English and Mali in Spanish. And once those gates opened today, man they could just not be stopped.... much like the rain. 

Suddenly they told me everything. Suddenly the shy girls were gone, replaced with two chatter boxes I didn't quite know how to handle. Kristani fired off questions left and right at my side, while Mali hummed or spoke softly to me in Spanish from atop my shoulders. I couldn't believe this sudden change. My heart could hardly contain its joy as these two shy girls transformed before my eyes. I cannot begin to tell you how blessed I am to have been so profoundly impacted by these two little girls. I will forever remember the impact they've had on me during our short time together, and I will cherish and store these memories in my heart.

So, I will say again... we never truly know the impression we are making on others just by being ourselves. I didn't set off trying to win Kristani and Mali's affection. They saw something in me that they gravitated towards. They decided that I was worthy of their time and affection, and that astounds me. Not because I am not worthy of their affection, but because I did not know I was affecting them so. I did not know I was making such a huge impression on them.

Think for a moment how many people you run across throughout your day. Think how many times you actually have the opportunity to make a lasting impression without even meaning to. Why not spend those moments spreading positivity and love for God? Think about that the next time you're having a rough day. Remember that you are making an impression on those around you, even if you are unaware of doing so. God places people in our paths for a reason. He gives us an abundance of opportunities to positively influence someone else's life.

So, smile at that woman walking past you, hold that door for the person behind you, have a conversation with the stranger next to you... 

You never know what plans God has for you... or what spark you'll set off along the way...

I'll check back soon.

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment